Today’s Networking Meeting is over and we are very glad, as we had with us speakers who inspired us and helped us learn new things related to entrepreneurship, as well as a lively audience! A great thanks to all of you! You can find the presentations of our speakers at this link: http://bit.ly/1srsjrX
IEEE Cyprus EN Networking Meeting with Dinos Ioannides started with a short presentation of IEEE Cyprus EN and a Networking Game between the participants.
Afterwards, Mr. Dinos Ioannides, DHL Cyprus Branch Manager presented his speech under the subject “The business person’s survival guide”.
The main topics that he covered were:
• Business viability in the current environment
• Process and efficiency in view of profitability
• Logistics for SMEs
His slides can be found at: http://bit.ly/SVEtZA
At the final part of the meeting, Constantinos Soteriou spoke about the journey from the idea to implementation of his start-up idea “Futsapp”.
You can watch the video of the meeting at the link below:
You are invited to the new Networking Meeting of IEEE Cyprus Entrepreneurs Network (EN) that is going to be held on June 19, 2014, at 6:30 pm, room 010 of Building XOD02 at the New Campus of the University of Cyprus, Aglantzia.
18:30-19:00: Networking game
19:00-19:15: Presentation of Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs Program by Christos Nicolaides, Owner / Managing Director at DEKAPLUS Business Services LTD
19:15-19:45: Speech by Dina Pasechnik, Business Development Executive at Eltoma Corporate Services, under the subject: “Start Up business – what is required, where to start and how to register your first company”.
During this talk the basics on how to start a company (what choice you have on jurisdictions) will be explained, as well as how to open a bank account, how to apply for a patent or other IP protection and how sell a successful start-up to a prospective investor.
20:00-20:20: Elena Georgiou Strouthos is going to speak about her experience as Co-founder & Managing Director at Cocoon Creations.
20:20-20:30: Q&A and closing
For more information contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or +35796343176
The coffee that is going to be served after the closing of the event is a kind sponsorship of Starbucks store at The Mall of Cyprus.
We would also like to invite you to attend an event that is going to take place in the same room an hour before our event, during which CleanLaunchpad, Europe’s largest business idea competition is going to be presented (Read details here: http://bit.ly/1hNDmax, http://bit.ly/1kZNbT0).
IEEE Cyprus Entrepreneurs Network (EN) was established in January 2013 and is a volunteer effort that aims to trigger entrepreneurship in Cyprus and help people interested in it to get networked and find valuable team members in order to create technological start-ups. More specifically it intends to bring together IEEE members and other professionals (non-members who are working or who are educated in an IEEE designated field – which are all fields of Engineering, Computer Sciences and Information Technology, Physical Sciences, Biological and Medical Sciences, Mathematics, Technical Communications, Education, Management, Law and Policy) in order to cooperate with electrical or electronic engineers in Cyprus and abroad, so that they come up with an innovative product or service that can be exploited commercially.
Μέσω του προγράμματος αυτού, ο μαθητής του Λυκείου θα έχει την ευκαιρία να ζήσει για μια βδομάδα τις εμπειρίες που ζει καθημερινά ένας φοιτητής στους κλάδους της τεχνολογίας και μηχανικής. Οι μαθητές θα χωριστούν σε μικρές ομάδες όπου θα ασχοληθούν με τον σχεδιασμό και υλοποίηση κατασκευών, π.χ. μικρά robot, μοτέρ, ραδιόφωνο, πομπό σήματος, μικροεπεξεργαστές, φωτοβολταïκό σύστημα, κ.α. Οι κατασκευές αυτές θα γίνουν με την βοήθεια των καθηγητών του τμήματος μηχανικής χρησιμοποιώντας λογισμικά σχεδιασμού και όργανα μετρήσεων. Οι μαθητές θα δραστηριοποιηθούν για μια βδομάδα σε ένα περιβάλλον υψηλής τεχνολογίας όπου θα αποκτήσουν συγκεκριμένες γνώσεις και εμπειρίες όσο αφορά τον κλάδο της μηχανικής. Θα έχουν επίσης την ευκαιρία να ρωτήσουν και να μάθουν από τους καθηγητές του τμήματος θέματα σχετικά με το μέλλον της τεχνολογίας, προοπτικές του κλάδου, συναφή επαγγέλματα, έρευνα και καινοτομία, κ.α.
Ο αριθμός των θέσεων είναι περιορισμένος αφού θα γίνουν δύο ομάδες των 25 μαθητών.
Για δηλώσεις συμμετοχής ή για περαιτέρω πληροφορίες παρακαλείστε όπως επικοινωνήστε με:
Δρ Αναστάση Πολυκάρπου, Πρόεδρο Τμήματος Ηλεκτρολόγων Μηχανικών και Μηχανικών Υπολογιστών, 22842514, Polycarpou.email@example.com
Δρ Γιώργο Γρηγορίου, Κοσμήτορα της Σχολής Επιστημών και Μηχανικής, 22841650, Gregoriou.firstname.lastname@example.org
Κατεβάστε το πρόγραμμα εδώ: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6c5uyf1ivjpvwv/Program.pdf
An epiphany hit me recently after reading an article about the current status of job loss in Washington State. Reporting “no jobs” does not necessarily mean there is “no work available.” The term “jobless,” doesn’t have to mean “without work.” When I think about it, passively waiting for a job to open up when there is so much work around us to be done may not be the best approach to what could be a dire situation. Too many people are trapped in the mindset that a job is the only way to find income. I think there is another way we all could be looking at a “jobless” economy.
This “ah, ha!” moment happened after a frustrating week of searching for a contractor to replace the bathroom floor in a rental unit. Of the five people I contacted, two said they would call back and never did, another two said the job was too small for them, and one remaining contractor promptly returned my call. After an onsite visit, he committed to doing the work. When the project was completed, the contractor was promptly paid for his work, even though it wasn’t a “job with benefits.” Later, when we found out the carpet also needed to be replaced, the same contractor was given more work.
Read more at: http://resourcemaximizer.com/blog/2013/02/stop-waiting-for-a-job-and-go-to-work/?source=from-linkedin
Are you a developer in Cyprus? And are you capable of handling telecom network elements? If you feel that the time has come for you to turn your idea into a real-life business, take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work with the best. Join the MTN Innovation Challenge!
For the first time in Cyprus, a telecommunications company gives you the opportunity to get hands-on experience of the real-industry environment. MTN Cyprus, trusting the potential of the Cypriot StartUp community, opens up its Service Delivery Platform (SDP) to the most talented Cypriot developers.
All business ideas are welcome, as long as they are creative, based on a sustainable business model and at the same time, incorporating SDP capabilities. We are expecting business proposals from StartUps, students and entrepreneurs, since MTN Innovation Challenge aims to identify innovation, encourage technology StartUp initiatives and drive entrepreneurship to the next level.
Read more at: http://www.mtn-ic.com.cy/
Here’s a good chance for EN members to form teams and apply for this competition. EN’s here to help you with any support you might need.
The IEEE Cyprus Entrepreneurs Network (EN)’s main objectives are the following:
1. Networking between IEEE members and other professionals (non-members working in an IEEE designated field) in Cyprus who are interested in entrepreneurship, from which possible cooperation and startups may come up. Regular meetings take place in the presence of the Entrepreneurs Network Executive Committee (Chair, Vice Chairperson, Secretary and Program Director) and any other IEEE members or non-members concerned in the Network’s goals and interests.
2. Triggering of entrepreneurship in IEEE designated fields in Cyprus, especially within the current financial crisis which increases unemployment. Professionals who by education or experience give evidence of competence in an IEEE designated field (Engineering, Computer Sciences and Information Technology, Physical Sciences, Biological and Medical Sciences, Mathematics, Technical Communications, Education, Management, Law and Policy) are encouraged to participate in the Entrepreneurs Network, cooperate with electrical / computer engineers in Cyprus in order to come up with an innovative product / service that can be exploited commercially, and join IEEE.
3. Arrangement of talks, oriented to the target group of IEEE Cyprus EN, being delivered by entrepreneurship related experts, such as accountants, lawyers, angels, local SBA representatives, bankers, experts in Business Finance, marketing professionals, insurance experts, and industry leaders.
4. Organisation of workshops or days of training, in such topics as financing alternatives, protecting intellectual property, selling our business plan, project management and personal leadership style for success. Additional ideas for the workshops are welcome and can be discussed via our presence in the web or during our meetings.
5. Support of entrepreneurs / future entrepreneurs and helping them both to meliorate their business plans and get in touch with angels and investors.
6. Holding TechMatch event. TechMatch is a tool that helps member entrepreneurs conduct self-evaluations on their business plans, submit their business plans for review by other experienced entrepreneur members and to visibility by potential investors. As the IEEE Cyprus Entrepreneurs Network we are going to support entrepreneurs who will have participated in the TechMatch event by assigning mentors, connecting the entrepreneur with local resources for further help, selecting the best plans in a competition and giving awards or advertising the plans in operating unit publications. TechMatch tool can be used only by IEEE members, so in order to organise such an event we need to have significant interest by IEEE members in Cyprus and abroad, who can of course cooperate with non-IEEE members coming from the fields mentioned above and develop a mutual business plan.
7. The goal of TechMatch is to support entrepreneur members in moving toward success and that is what the Entrepreneurs Network Executive Committee (EN’s EXCOM) will undertake. After the actual TechMatch event is over we will provide ongoing support to entrepreneurs who have expressed interest. This could be in the form of assigned mentors for those entrepreneurs that express interest. The lead of the Review team together with EN’s EXCOM will take the responsibility for any handoff or continuity of support as expressed by the entrepreneur and assure there is direct communication with each entrepreneur according to their needs and expectations for their further development.
New volunteers and new ideas are always welcome!
Electrical Engineer Consultant JYA Engineering
IEEE Cyprus EN Chair
Stay tuned: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=4770026&trk=anet_ug_hm –> Join
http://www.youtube.com/user/encyprus –> subscribe
Keep cultivating the entrepreneurial thinking!
Το Ίδρυμα Προώθησης Έρευνας (ΙΠΕ) έχει προκηρύξει το Διαγωνισμό «Φοιτητές στην Έρευνα – ΦΟΙΤΩ 2013 – 2014», ο οποίος εντάσσεται στο πλαίσιο του Προγράμματος «Καλλιέργεια Ερευνητικής και Καινοτομικής Κουλτούρας», της ΔΕΣΜΗΣ Προγραμμάτων 2009-2010 του Ιδρύματος για Έρευνα, Τεχνολογική Ανάπτυξη και Καινοτομία.
Ο Διαγωνισμός απευθύνεται σε προπτυχιακούς φοιτητές στο τελευταίο έτος των σπουδών τους και σε μεταπτυχιακούς φοιτητές, εξαιρουμένων των υποψήφιων διδακτόρων. Οι φοιτητές καλούνται να υποβάλουν ερευνητικές εργασίες που θα υλοποιήσουν στο πλαίσιο του τρέχοντος έτους των σπουδών τους υπό την καθοδήγηση έμπειρων ερευνητών, σύμφωνα με τις πρόνοιες της Πρόσκλησης Υποβολής Προτάσεων για τη διεκδίκηση βραβείων και επαίνων. Καταληκτική ημερομηνία υποβολής των ερευνητικών εργασιών στο ΙΠΕ είναι η 27η Ιουνίου 2014.
… Περισσότερα: http://www.research.org.cy/EL/news/3625.html